Sexuality & Aging
We are all sexual human beings, from birth to death.
Benefits of sex as you age:
- Improves mental and physical health: reduces stress and anxiety, is a good form of exercise, and may help you sleep better
- Increases lifespan: the health benefits can add years to your life
- Solidifies relationships: sex can lead to better communication and an overall strengthening of intimacy between you and your partner
- Gives refuge: sex can be an escape from the sometimes harsh realities of the world
“I have women in their 60s telling me they are now having the best sex of their lives.”
–Terry Marley DeRosier, Certified Nurse Practitioner at MWC
Ways to make partner sex more pleasurable:
- Use lubrication: The body is less likely to lubricate naturally during the aging process, or take more time to lubricate on its own (however, not for everyone). Use a water-based lubricant supplement to increase pleasure if needed
- Try new positions: Trying new sexual positions that are more comfortable for both partners can help provide a better sexual experience
- Expand your definition of sex: holding each other, gentle touching, massaging, kissing, oral sex, and masturbation are all fulfilling and satisfying alternatives to intercourse
- Change the routine: Change the time of day to be sexually active, maybe a time when both partners have more energy
- Don’t forget the importance of foreplay: It may take a little longer to become aroused, but that’s okay! It just means you get to spend more time together becoming aroused. Set the stage for romance, maybe a nice dinner or evening of dancing. Try more kissing and touching too.
Good sex = safe sex AT ANY AGE
Up to 80% of people between the ages of 50 to 80 are sexually active. Even though there may be no chance of pregnancy, people at any age are still susceptible to sexually transmitted infections (STIs), so talk to your partner and protect yourself! Condoms are the best way to prevent STIs.
At Mabel Wadsworth Center, we believe all people, regardless of age, deserve a healthy, safe, and pleasurable sexual life.
For high-quality, client-centered, non-judgmental care, call today to schedule an appointment–947-5337
Some of our services include:
- Annual wellness exams
- Breast exams
- Cancer screenings
- Menopause consultations
- STI testing and treatment
- Vaginal infection testing
- Other general consultations about healthy sexuality