New Name and Mission
A Statement from Executive Director, Andrea Irwin:
We are pleased to announce a revised mission, updated website and new logo and name for Mabel Wadsworth Women’s Health Center. This announcement is part of a lengthy and thoughtful decision-making process and transition that began back in 2014.
The Center began serving transgender clients in 2014 when Lindsey Piper, NP, joined us. We’ve since determined that the best way to create a space that is welcoming and affirming is by serving people of all genders.
In 2016, our board and staff made an important decision to begin serving men. We recognized a real gap in confidential, accessible STI services in our community. Upon deep reflection and careful consideration of how this would impact our female clients at both the staff and board levels, we agreed that this service expansion better demonstrates inclusivity.
Effective Jan. 1, 2017, the Center is now known simply as Mabel Wadsworth Center. We’ve also revised our mission: To provide health care using a feminist model focused on sexual and reproductive health through education, advocacy, and clinical services.
Together with the revised mission, we’ve also developed a new statement on our values:
- We empower women to celebrate their sexual and reproductive lives and make informed decisions about their own bodies.
- We provide compassionate, non-judgmental, client-centered care regardless of a person’s age, ability, race or ethnicity, sexual orientation, economic resources, religion, immigration status, and gender identity or expression.
- We seek to offer a gender-affirming and inclusive environment so that all people feel safe and welcome.
- We neither seek nor accept government funding (other than direct reimbursements for clinical care) so we may remain independent and ensure a continued, uncensored voice in reproductive rights policy, education, and advocacy.
- We advocate for meaningful access to abortion care for all people and believe that abortion care is part of the full spectrum of reproductive health care.
- We strive to contribute to and engage with the broader reproductive justice movement by working to identify and lift all barriers to reproductive healthcare.
- We honor the unique and diverse experiences of women’s lives as a feminist organization in Maine for the enrichment of all people.
We are incredibly proud of our feminist history and our reputation built over 32 years as a safe and affirming place for women to seek sexual and reproductive health care. We are thrilled to broaden this commitment to all people and excited to begin a new chapter. We believe the new mission, values, logo and name reflect a more inclusive approach that still prioritizes the values of feminism and gender equality that have defined our work since 1984. Women’s health and serving women will always be core to our mission but we hope that this name change will invite even more folks to seek health care and community at the Center.
For additional questions, please contact us. Thank you for your ongoing support.